JA Grounation 2016 Rastafari Community Schedule of Events
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE SEVERAL RASTAFARI HOUSES HOSTING GROUNATION EVENTS ON THE ISLAND
H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I
50th Anniversary Visit Anniversary
Media Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prince Ermias arriving for 50th anniversary of the visit of Emperor Haile Selassie I to Jamaica
Prince Ermias Sahle-Selassie, a grandson of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie 1 of Ethiopia, will arrive in Jamaica on April 21st to head celebrations for the 50th anniversary of his grandfather’s historic visit to the island. He will be accompanied by his wife, Princess Saba Kebede, and an Ethiopian delegation. Prince Ermias is the President of the Crown Council of Ethiopia (see www.ethiopiancrown.org), and is continuing the work of his grandfather as the Patron of the Haile Selassie Fund for Ethiopia’s Children, promoting the development of Ethiopian education.
The visit of his grandfather Emperor Haile Selassie 1 to Jamaica on April 21, 1966, was a turning point in the history of the Rastafari movement and Jamaica’s cultural recognition. The Emperor’s visit laid the foundation for the upliftment of oppressed Jamaicans and their identity with Africa. By inviting Rastafarians to King’s House to award them medals, and to eat and drink with the Governor General and high officials in the island, he paved the way for Rastafari to be recognized by Jamaican society. Many Jamaicans embraced Rastafari because of his visit, which gave birth to a cultural revolution in the arts, the most famous being reggae music.
Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned in 1930 as Emperor Haile Selassie 1, the King of Kings, Lion of Judah, and Defender of the Faith of the one of oldest Christian nations. The Emperor traces his roots to King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, recorded in the Bible in 1 Kings 10.
The invasion of Ethiopia in 1936 by Italian fascist dictator Mussolini encouraged fellow fascist Hitler to start World War II. The Emperor’s army liberated Ethiopia in 1941 with help from the Allied forces. Thereafter, industry, education and development flourished, laying the foundation for the current Ethiopian economy, which is growing at around 10% per year, the fastest in Africa. The Emperor had a key role in establishing the United Nations, the Organisation of African Unity in 1963, in ending colonialism in Africa, resolving conflicts and promoting education and development in Africa.
Events commemorating the visit will be held across the island by the various Mansions of Rastafari, at which local and international visitors are expected. Public events at which Prince Ermias will officiate or attend include a motorcade from NMIA Kingston airport on April 21st at 1pm that stops at National Heroes Park at 2pm, retracing the route taken by the Emperor. On April 22nd, there will be a ceremony at Haile Selassie 1 High School at 1pm and a public lecture by Prince Ermias at the UWI Regional Headquarters at 6pm. He will attend the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Palm Sunday Service at 22 Maxfield Ave on April 24th from 8am-11am, and an exhibition on Rastafari at Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay at 5pm on April 24th.
Key events commemorating the 50th anniversary of the visit of Emperor Haile Selassie 1 to Jamaica.
These events are free and open to the public
Thursday, April 21
- A motorcade that retraces the route taken by Emperor Haile Selassie 1, leaving at 1pm from the NMIA Kingston Airport.
- The motorcade stops at the National Heroes Park at 2pm, where Prince Ermias will lay wreaths at the Marcus Garvey memorial and the cenotaph.
- The motorcade route continues by the Mico University, Jamaica College, the University of Technology, and ends at the UWI, Mona.
Friday, April 22
- A civic ceremony at the Haile Selassie High School, which was built by a donation from Emperor Haile Selassie 1. Starting at 1pm, the theme is ‘Education is the Key to Everlasting Enlightenment’, under the patronage of Prince Ermias.
- The Inaugural Emperor Haile Selassie 1 Lecture to be given by Prince Ermias at the UWI Regional Headquarters, followed by the official opening of the Photographic Exhibit: ‘Commemorating Emperor Haile Selassie’s 1966 State Visit to Jamaica’, at the UWI Regional Headquarters.
The newly refurbished WAVE laboratory is the first in Jamaica to offer students and researchers a unique combination of augmented/virtual reality and 3D multimedia facilities for research projects in innovation, education, heritage and culture.
Due to space limitations, the public cannot be accommodated at the WAVE lab opening.
THE ETHIO-AFRICA DIASPORA UNION MILLENNIUM COUNCIL AND THE RASTAFARI COMMUNITY PLANNED WEEK LONG COMMEMORATION OF THE 100th ANNIVERSARY OF CROWN PRINCE – RAS TAFARI (27/9/1916) & THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF H.I.M. HAILE SELLASSIE I VISIT TO JAMAICA (1966),
THIS FRIDAY APRIL 22
WE WILL BE ON THE ROAD! ALL ROADS LEADS TO PINNACLE, ST. JAGO HEIGHTS TO WITNESS THE PRESENTATION BY THE HON. MINISTER O. “BABSY” GRANGE
AT 11:00 am, ON PINNACLE, THE RASTAFARI HERITAGE SITE !
TO ADDRESS THE HERITAGE SITE’S DECLARATION AND DEVELOPMENT. COME OUT AND WITNESS ANOTHER HISTORIC ACHIEVEMENT BY THE RASTAFARI MOVEMENT!
- 6:00 am: BUS LEAVES SCOTT’S PASS FOR PINNACLE
- 8:30 am: BUS LEAVES TRENCH TOWN MULTI-PURPOSE FOR PINNACLE
- 11:00 am: HON. MINISTER O. “BABSY” GRANGE MAKES PRESENTATION ON THE RASTAFARI HERITAGE SITE TO ADDRESS THE SITES’ DECLARATION AND DEVELOPMENT.
- 12:00 Noon: BUSES DEPARTS FOR HAILE SELLASSIE I HIGH SCHOOL
- 1:00 – 4:15 p.m.
- Ceremony at the Haile Sellassie High School entitled: ‘Education is the Key to Everlasting Enlightenment’, under the patronage of HRH Prince Ermias Sahle-Sellassie.
– HANDING OVER THE ‘KEYS TO THE CITY OF KINGSTON, – MAYOR Brown-Burke
– THE RASTAFARI GLOBAL SECRETARIAT – RMC-RGS-UK, RUF/SOUTH AFRICA WILL BE AT THE FUNCTION.
- 6:00 – 8:15pm: Evening programming Rastafari Studies Unit at UWI. Reading of UWI Citation to H.I.M. Haile Sellassie I; Formal presenting of the MOU between the RMC and the UWI for the Rastafari Community; Inaugural Haile Sellassie I Lecture by HIH Prince Ermias, UWI, Mona Campus.
- 8:30pm: Official Opening of a Special Haile Sellassie I Visits Jamaica Photographic Exhibition, under the patronage of HRH Prince Ermias Sahle-Sellassie.
- Reception to be followed afterwards.
10:30 – 11:00 p.m. BUSES DEPART FOR THE TRENCH TOWN MULTI-PURPOSE CENTER
Saturday, April 23
The event will feature Rastafari traditional music, Jamaican Music arising from and inspired by the Rastafari movement, and a multimedia overview of the Rastafari contribution to the wider arts. The event is free and open to the public. Details will follow.
Sunday, April 24
- Ethiopian Palm Sunday Service at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Maxfield Ave, Kingston from 8:30am to 11:30am, to be attended by Prince Ermias.
- Sam Sharpe Square: Commemoration of the Emperor’s visit to Montego Bay, attended by Prince Ermias, and viewing of ‘His Majesty & The Movement’ exhibit at the Montego Bay Civic Centre.
RASTAFARI YOUTH INITIATIVE COUNSEL (RYIC) IN ASSOCIATION WITH DHAPA PRESENTS A RASTAFARI YOUTH CULTURAL EXTRAVAGANZA CALLED CELEBRATING HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE 1 WITH A HERBS AND MUSIC FEST WITH STRICKLY KUSH SELECTION FROM RAS GEBRE SELASSIE OF THE KINGSTON DUB CLUB, RAS ILAWI, LION TROD, RASERELLA, YARD CORE, MUTA BARUKA AND RAS HAILE MALEKOT OF BEST FM. THERE WILL ALSO BE A PANEL DISCUSSION CALLED IRON SHARPENS IRON FOCUSING ON FOUR HISTORICAL EVENTS:
- 12O YEARS CELEBRATION OF THE BATTLE OF ADWA
- 100 YEARS CELEBRATION OF THE CROWNING OF RASTAFARI
- I.M 80 YEARS CELEBRATION SPEECH TO THE LEAGUES OF NATION IN JUNE 1936
- 50TH CELEBRATION OF H.I.M VISIT TO THE CARIBBEAN (PARTICULARLY JAMAICA)
LISTENING TO RASTAFARI TESTIMONIES OF THESE FOUR HISTORICAL EVENTS WITH A FOCUS ON HOW THESE EVENTS ARE CONNECTED TO THE RASTAFARI MOVEMENT
THE ETHIO-AFRICA DIASPORA UNION MILLENNIUM COUNCIL
AND THE RASTAFARI COMMUNITY
PLANNED WEEK LONG COMMEMORATION OF THE 100th ANNIVERSARY OF CROWN PRINCE – RAS TAFARI (27/9/1916) & THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF H.I.M. HAILE SELLASSIE I VISIT TO JAMAICA (1966),
BEGINS SUNDAY, APRIL 17TH,
AT THE TRENCH TOWN MULTI-PURPOSE CENTER
10 -18 FIFTH STREET @ 2:00 PM!
THE DAY’S PROGRAMME WILL LOOK INTO THE GANJA BILL
AND THE GANJA INDUSTRY.
PRESENTATION FROM THE GANJA FUTURE GROWERS & PRODUCERS ASSOCIATION;
AND UPDATES FROM THE CANNABIS LICENSING AUTHORITY (CLA).
MONDAY APRIL 18TH,
AT THE TRENCH TOWN MULTI-PURPOSE CENTER
10 -18 FIFTH STREET @ 2:00 PM,
WILL FEATURE A SYMPOSIUM ON THE
NUTRACEUTICAL INDUSTRY IN JAMAICA!
COME AND LET ALL BE EDUCATED !!!
REFRESHMENT ON SALE.
One Perfect Love!
From the Executives Directors of the EADUMC.
Cc. Ras Kremlin “AFRICA LOVE”
Tel: (876) 482 – 7571