Book of Enoch: The 7 Components of The Creation of Man
From the Book of Enoch:
The unity of the cosmological and anthropological developments is evident in the tradition of the sevenfold nature of humanity. The longer recension of 2 Enoch 30:8-9 recounts that Adam (first man) was created from seven “components” and endowed with seven “properties/faculties”.
On the 6th day, I commanded My Wisdom to create man out of the seven components:
1: His flesh from earth
2. His blood from dew and from the sun
3. his eyes from the bottomless sea
4. his bones from stone
5. his reason from mobility of angels and from clouds
6. his veins and hair from grass of the earth
7. his spirit from my spirit from My Spirit and from the wind
And I gave him 7 properties:
- hearing to the flesh;
- sight to the eyes;
- smell to the spirit;
- touch to the sinews;
- taste to the blood;
- to the bones – endurance;
- to the reason – sweetness.
The creation of Adam from seven substances is important for our study. It is again reminiscent of the hermetic and gnostic developments where the sevenfold anthropogonic pattern is intertwined with the sevenfold cosmogony.